Enriched with lots of nutrients avocados have become extremely popular, especially California avocados. With this popularity comes some myths arising out of so many people’s minds just to be sure that they do the right thing. Let us help them with the facts about this alligator pear and bust the myths.
- You shouldn’t eat avocados every day – With so many good fats, vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial plant compounds, avocados can be a healthy addition to your everyday diet not to mention their great flavor and creamy texture.
- Avocado pits keep guacamole green – This is not true. Over time, guacamole exposed to air will oxidize and turn brown and so is the cut avocado. Instead of adding the pits, adding the juice of lemon will help your guacamole to retain its color for a little while. If you want it to last a little longer, then pour a small amount of water on top of your guacamole just enough to cover the surface and refrigerate it. When you are ready to eat it, pour off the liquid, and serve.
- Avocados are fattening – Not at all. Compared to other fruits, avocados contain excess fat. But they are all “good fat,” that helps the body absorb certain nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, and K. In fact, if you are planning to go on a weight-loss diet, avocados are the best choice as they give you a fuller feeling each time you eat them and prevents you from binge eating.
- You can’t freeze avocado – You can freeze avocados but make sure you choose good quality avocado. Add a squeeze of lemon to the avocados that are mashed with a fork or run through the blender or food processor and place it in a resealable bag with the air bubbles removed. Move the frozen avocado to the refrigerator the day before you plan to use it.
- Avocados cause constipation – Avocados are actually a great source of dietary fiber that aids in digestion. Eating a third of a medium avocado fruit will give you 3 grams of dietary fiber. So, eating avocados on a regular basis can actually be a good way to help with the bowel movements.
With those popular myths busted, you can now relish on those famous California avocados guilt-free. With so many varieties available round the year online, choose the best quality avocado to enjoy the complete benefits.